Dog Catcher

Dog Catcher

Monday 27 February 2012

How Did It Happen?

   How did it all happen that I became the Animal Control Officer??  Well really easily.  I was approached by an official in our town and asked if I wanted the position.  I didn't really think about it a long time, nor did I consult anyone else about it.  I was well known as an animal person and had for years dealt with horses. Dogs just seemed to be apart of life on a farm and riding.  They went hoof in paw you might say!  In any case a contract was soon drawn up but it did not include a vehicle at my disposal or any training at all.  That didn't seem a big problem as since arriving here I had taken on all sorts of jobs I had no training in.  I have split shakes, loaded lumber, done all sorts of farming, and it was all on-the-job training.  I learned by doing, which luckily I got away with and still had all of my body  parts, although I nearly lost a hand to a chain saw.
   I was fortunate to acquire a large dog kennel which was made of fiberglass and light to load into my truck but very awkward. Once in the truck it provided a safe place for any dog I picked up in the line of duty. The gate to this crate consisted of bars and when anyone saw a dog in it they would comment on how it was in "jail".
No one else seemed to see the safety aspect of it.  Anyway it worked. I also received two magnetic signs that stated I was the Animal Control Officer and I actually felt really proud of the whole outfit. Off I went that first day to find my first stray dog.  I must mention that we had a real problem with loose dogs at that time. It was difficult to even get into one of the restaurants for loose dogs lying there.
   I once observed some children on front street, on their bicycles with their dogs loose and the animals got to fighting.  My time at the dog farm had shown me how difficult it was to separate two fighting dogs and I really feared for the children's safety as they could not be expected to know how to get it done, nor would they have the strength.  It usually takes two people, each grabbing a dog by the scruff (and whatever else is available) and pulling the dogs apart.  If you try and lift one of the dogs he is liable to get his hangy-down parts bitten and that is no good either.  Luckily that time the children did not get bitten.
   The bylaws state that any dog not contained in a yard or on a leash and loose is a dog at large (no matter how big he is) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.