Dog Catcher

Dog Catcher

Monday 27 February 2012

The First Dog

   Way back in Oct. of 1995  (Wow 17 years ago - I though it was only 15!)  I impounded my first dog. My records state it was a female named Jasper and she came along peaceably. I felt badly as the dog had done nothing wrong and it would have been more justifiable to pick up the owner instead.  I proceeded to "process" the dog accordingly. (That always sounds like something to eat to me. But truly these dogs are well-treated and we do not eat them for breakfast) Once the dog had been delivered to the impoundment place and I was home again I was shocked to receive a phone call from the owner. He was an out-of-towner and had not placed any identification tag on his dog so we were unable to phone him about his dog. I guess he eventually figured it out and insisted on talking to me. I was very surprised tht my number was given out so freely. The man of course was angry and kept telling me he had only gone for a pee. Well I thought why had he left the dog on her own while he did so, when he had a fenced yard and needed only to pop her in there?  But of course he was only interested in venting at me and would not give me a chance to speak. Hah! A new part of this job I had not thought about.
    People consider their dogs a possession and the dogcatchers as thieves, sneaking around and snatching their animals when their backs are turned. A different concept indeed to what I was thinking. In any case the dog had been retrieved from the pound and the fine had been paid. I possibly had made my first enemy? Don't know as I never came across the fellow again and have yet to see what he looks like.
   It was interesting to note that I shook the whole time I was "doing my duty" and it would take some time for this to become "old hat" with me. I dislike confrontations and learned to try and avoid them as much as possible.  I began telling people their $25.00 fine did not include a strip off the dogcatcher. Mostly people were ticked that they had to pay but it has been proven that warnings do not work at all. Neither does phoning me to tell me they are looking for their dog make a difference. The dog is still loose and bottom line is: You gotta be smarter than the dog at keeping it under control.
     Oh Yeah. "Control" is deemed as: contained in a proper yard or on a leash!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.