Dog Catcher

Dog Catcher

Friday 24 February 2012

Dog's Are Master Adapters

    Why I am really writing is to address the woman who thought her dogs life may have come to an end by the fact that it was deaf and losing its sight as well. My wonderful companion of the past fifteen years is in the same position so I know of what I speak. 
     Dogs are “Master Adapters” and we have much to learn from them. Of course my heart broke when I thought of Keeper never hearing kind words of love from me again but I also could not bear the thought of not having her in my life. And so I have had to become a pretty good “adapter” myself.
     I don’t’ believe Keeper sits and feels sorry for herself because she has lost her hearing. Instead, she simply gets on with life to the best of her ability. Of course she relies on me for a few more things, but I believe her other senses have sharpened and come to her aid.
     Keeper is of working dog parentage and I believe collie types are most clever. She is half Border collie and half Australian Shepherd. She was a rescue dog and I have never regretted making the decision to take her on.
     In her “golden years” she is still a happy dog.  I have adapted to her hearing loss and always make sure she is on leash so she dosn’t wander off and get lost. We use a lot of hand signals and although her sight is also weakening, she can at this time still see enough to know what I am signalling. The “touch” has become very important as well. I touch her to alert her that I want her to do something and she usually responds most cleverly. Vibrations also work and at night I am able to tap the floor to alert her it is time to go to bed. When she is outside and gets to barking I bang the door with and old horsewhip and she is able to “hear” or else “feel” that and she comes in.
    At this stage of the game she certainly dislikes being on her own and will seek me out constantly. I am fortunate in that I seldom need to leave her on her own. If I have to be away for the day I am also lucky enough to have a “sitter” for her and that works very well.
    There are occasions when she thinks she sees or hears something that she needs to bark at but again a touch will put that at ease. We humans have many tools at our beck and call to use, but we have forgotten many of them and need our dogs to remind us.
    Keeper has always been a member of my pack. Even though I did things incorrectly to be a pack leader, she made me that anyway.
    So to wind up what I have to say, I would encourage people to not worry so much about a deaf dog and just learn to adapt, as the dog certainly will. They won’t bemoan the fact but will just get on with life as best they can and enjoy every day.  

1 comment:

  1. Goes to show dogs are smarter than humans, they enjoy each day of their lives.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.