Dog Catcher

Dog Catcher

Friday 24 February 2012

Chubby Chicken

 I got Chubby from a friend when I was still living in Calgary, her son had apparently "won" him at a rodeo and for some reason she was looking for a home for him and came by at one of the few times in my life that I was dogless.  He was black and not overly large but later I often thought he had a Lab body and spindly little legs from some other breed of dog.  Then there were the "flying nun" ears that seemed to lead a life of their own at times.  So the picture you get is not an overly handsome fellow but he soon endeared himself to me.  When I left Calgary Chubby of course came with me.
 Our first place of stopping was a kennels near the Ghost River out Cochrane way. My job there became one of kennel girl and any other job that came up including assistant for the horse castrations.  Much could be written about that place but we will stick with Chubby.  I was ecstatic to have a small log cabin all to myself and it included a fenced yard out front for Chubby.  He on the other hand was not real happy about being in a pen during the day while I went out working and he could even see me! Why couldn't he be out? Still, ever an adaptable little cuss he did take it all in humour.  I remember I got him a kitten for company but that wasn't the greatest idea as the two of them got into lots of trouble on a rainy day in my cabin. I had no fridge or running water in the cabin so I tried to stock up of foodstuffs that would keep whenever I could. 
   The meals provided by my employer left much to be desired and I seldom left the table with an actually full stomach. I also had to pack a pail of water for washing in and drinking etc. On this particular day the kitten may have been chased up the cupboard by his Nibs and my one package of cookies got knocked down into the water bucket. No one wanted wet cookies not even the illustrious Chubby who would do anything for food and often ate things he shouldn't. It seems to me they also had the toilet roll floating in there and after that I seldom left the two animals in the cabin unsupervised.  The cat could not go out though because the 150 dogs in the kennels would go nuts and set up a great barking and would also kill him if he got in one of the pens.  We did however go on some wonderful walks on the open prairie.  Just Chubby and I enjoying life!








  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.