Dog Catcher

Dog Catcher

Sunday 26 February 2012

Chubby meets Trouble

    Before I left Calgary to work at the dogfarm, I acquired my first horse. As with most things in my life it had not been a planned endeavor. I usually just fall into things and don't necessarily think these things through very thoroughly.
    I was contacted by two young girls I knew who had seen an ad for a colt for only $75.00.The trouble was, they only had fifty and wanted to know if I would be a one-third owner and supply the other $25.00 and I went with them to look at it. About this time I did begin to wonder if this was a good idea but it was a dream of the girls' and one of mine as well. It could be interesting!The colt was in due time delivered to N.E. Calgary where the girls lived. All seemed to go well for a couple of months and then I received a phone call saying the S.P.C.A. was thinking of taking the colt away from the girls.  It turned out they had been feeding sacked feed only and not enough. These girls were still in school and knew little of caring for a horse. I made a deal with them to take over the horse and when they could prove to me they could pay for feed and knew a little more about horses I would return it to them.  Should I mention here now that the colts name was Trouble?
    I was lucky enough to find a place to keep the colt just down the road. I had an older friend in turn that helped me in fencing and caring for this colt. Trouble had other ideas about staying in a small pasture all by himself and escaped several times. My horse friend Ruth thought that by exercising the colt on a lungeline he would be tired and less likely to try and get out all the time. What did I know? It sounded good to me.
  Chubby didn't seem to think much about Trouble at all and just enjoyed going with me to feed the colt several times a day. Then one day when I was lunging Trouble around in a circle, I lost my cool and hollered at him to Whoa! I guess Chubby  had been watching all this and decided he would take things into his own jaws. Yes Jaws! He ran over and grabbed Trouble by the nose as I watched in utter amazement and called the dog off. What was with that? Some latent wolf tactic? Lucky for all of us Chubby did not weigh enough to succeed in this maneuver. So the lesson learned there was not to holler at the horse and to be aware that Chubby was always willing to step in and "help?"
   Chubby also had a bit of a temper and at a much later date, Trouble would step on him and the dog came up fighting, jumping and growling and snapping almost up to the base of  Troubles tail. But for the most part Chubby took it all in and didn't seem to mind the horse at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.