Dog Catcher

Dog Catcher

Saturday 25 February 2012

Chubby in Indus

 Chubby and I left the dog farm and went next to a rich mans hobby farm. He wanted a cook/housekeeper and I was getting a little desperate to leave the dog farm. I had gotten sick and also my two horses and I wondered if we would all make it out alive. When I talked to the man looking to employ me(?) I was adamant in that I had two horses, a dog and a cat and if they couldn't come I couldn't.  Why would you hire such a person? But it did not put the man off and we agreed to meet in a coffee shop to discuss things further. He said he had red hair-well...what was left of it. Closer to pink to my way of thinking, but we agreed on the terms and before I knew it I was loading horses and Chubby into a kennel crate and the cat in a carrier and off we went.
   The house was large and very modern and nice with a polar bearskin rug in front of the fireplace. Lots of windows and a carport that sheltered Chubby, who was very happy to be free to wander about again.My horses were contained in a white fence like I had always dreamed about, albeit it was a very chewed up fence from previous bored horses being in there. Scalloped would be a good description. Chubby took over guard duties and barked to let me know whenever someone arrived at the house. Now we were able to go on rides up to get the mail and Chubby loved that! We were there for about six months and as the boss and I had a few differences I once again pulled up stakes and went back to Calgary and stayed at my parents house for awhile.
    Now came a different phase for Chubby. My mother had two female poodles that were unspayed and Chubby was an "intact" male. She acted like he would be a rapist the minute he walked in the house! So okay a trip to the vet was necessary for Chubby. It was funny to note that for the time we were in that house he totally ignored the poodles. It was as if he did not consider them dogs and I had to agree with him. His  only interest in that department came from their always-brimming dog dishes. Upon entering the house he would clean up all dog food available and burp contentedly and lay down on the broadloom for a snooze.
My Mom was good about letting Chubby out to do his business but he was equally as diligent about checking out the neighborhood and it was here he discovered garbage cans. In short order he was a professional can opener. No ones garbage was safe from his inspections. But he seldom wandered very far and always returned on his own when he had finished his "walkabout".



    If nothing else Chubby always seemed to endear himself to all people even when he was doing something bad. My Mom loved him and one day he refused to come back when she called and she hurried out to get him and sprained her ankle. Poor Mom was on crutches for Christmas!
 




During this time I was travelling a bit with a new boyfriend. Chubby always went with us and I discovered he was clever enough to always know where I was.  I could stay at a Motel and he would return to the right door and if we stayed with friends I only had to leave my bags there for him to know I would return for him.  He was an easy dog to have around and loved everyone and could be trusted not to fight with other dogs and to listen (somewhat) to anyone that gave him orders.

1 comment:

Thank you for your comments.