Dog Catcher

Dog Catcher

Sunday 7 October 2012

Diggin' up Dust Rabbits

With these days off I have been trying to clean up Miracle House.  It always needs it as it is not my favourite past time at all.  The Redding Brothers are helping by digging up bigger than dust bunnies so I have named them rabbits instead.   A house like mine is bound to be more work with two orange kitties.  This morning they tipped over the Aloe plant but it is good and healthy and is here to stay as I actually bought it.  Cleaned up the dirt and then did all the floors as well. So maybe they are a good thing in that way as well??
  Oops Otis has just been put in the playpen aka porch as he would not leave keeper alone and she doesn't appreciate his attention.  Many times that porch has been more than handy for me and animals and it continues to be.  The Reddings like to go out there in the morning to play in the sunshine. I keep hoping they will use that shitty box as well and I think they did this a.m. as no smell today! Great! I am sure over time we will work everything out.
 Otis remains the bold and brave somewhat troublemaker whereas Opus(previously Opie) is much quieter and the cuddler of the two-BIG TIME! Otis has drawn my blood several times already but not Opus. Otis is also the piggy of the two and I see now he is out Opus can finally eat in peace and quiet with no competition. He does this with nice manners as opposed to brother Otis who just wolfs down as much a he can as soon as he can.
  And so with Megs arrival yesterday I received the last of my birthday cards and her "fresent" was a check and I can hardly wait to go to Nelson and for once do shopping that isn't for groceries.  Its just that suddenly I hate to leave home and all my furry family and I am very happy and content here.
  Herding the dogs out the door without having the cats go out has me working almost as hard as a good cutting horse.  Its easier with both doors closed and I can get one dog out a a time while  using a foot and many FSST CAT's to keep the cat boys in.  Once again in time this may become easier and I won't end up on my butt on the floor cursing while the brothers escape?   Another problem is how slow the dogs are being geriatrics now and half blind and mostly deaf.  And so who needs exercise classes?  Anyway much easier than in the past when I tried stopping a proud cut horse with a halter slung at him.(Proud cut horses have not been castrated properly and are worse than dealing with a stallion on the rampage) Anyway we are hoping for no broken bones or stitches as I only ride the rocking chair or the couch these days.
 And now having spent no less than four hours on this computer I will just end it here and stay tuned folks -don't know what will happen tomorrow!! The Reddings are in fine fettle this morning!  At the moment they are charging about the house like the "Light Brigade".  At one point Otis the Bold, lept up in the air in front of Old Keeper and gained himself a yark for that one.  They have stunk up the whole place with their morning deposits in the litter box and I had no choice but to clean it to rid the place of that odor.  Otis also got into the recycle bag and hauled out the  empty kitty litter container and somehow ended up wearing the wrapper around his middle! Yesterday they got together end emptied a cox of small cans of cat food and then played with the box.  He is now playing with that again as he gets his wind back for another "Redding Romp".  Opus the "Shredder of Kleenex" has been foiled at this habit by tin dog dishes covering the waste baskets.(they fit right in the tops very nicely)  But I don't dare drop one tissue or he'll have it for sure.  As Otis finds new toys every day, and particularly likes his emery board and his flattened plastic straw, Opus is quite content with the two Christmas mouses(one green, one white) that he has found from his predecessor Mr. Peaches.
  It was a busy weekend with a stray dog being turned in Friday night and then Daisy arriving to be petsat on Sat.  The boys have only had to deal with one dog(Maddie) since theri arrival but I am happy to say they took it all in stride very well.  The stray dog turned out to be "Einstein" and was a very respectful dog as he went through the house to be let out into the back yard.  Daisy I am pretty sure has always hated cats but accepts that my word is law and this is my house and my cats and dogs do not chase or even threaten them.  Good for her! That is of course only good manners.  Einstein was picked up yesterday-Sunday, and owner even dropped me some cash money which was wonderful.  So often people think a thank-you is enough but besides my time and trouble I feed all the animals twice a day so there is some money involved in the end.  Mostly I am just glad to "be of service" - get the dog off the streets or highway as in this case and then home again.  The Reddings need these dog experiences if I am to continue pet-sitting and I am pretty proud of them today.  They are shaping up to be well-adjusted boy cats for sure!  The Reddings seem to have a great affection for dog beds and as soon as I brought Daisys' nice bed in they had to try it out.  Daisy seems to prefer to be in the porch now I have the heat on and she has a nice couch cushion out there that she likes.  How do I know all this?? They told me so with actions and body language.
   At times having these two orange cats is like having two two-yr-old kids around.  They keep me busy checking on what they are into now and two minutes from now and so it goes.  When they finally crash for a rest they really get my curiosity up and I have to find where they are.  Luckily they sometimes sleep for a couple of hours which is a nice break for the rest of us.  Keeper especially finds them trying as she trips over all their toys and puts up with their shananigans.  But for the most part we are beconming a pretty good family unit now and they do enhance our lives and I am glad I took these two boys on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.