Dog Catcher

Dog Catcher

Friday 19 October 2012

A System in the Making

 Over the weeks that the Redding Brothers have been living with me,  a certain system has arisen or possibly it would be better called a schedule?  Like most young animals, they awaken hungry.  If not fed within the hour they make life tiresome indeed with much "Redding Romp" going on.  It seems much easier to put them out in the porch aka playpen with their food and let them get at it out there while the rest of us enjoy some peace and quiet. the dogs sleep and I am of course at the computer.  "Otis the Bold", has developed a habit of caressing himself against Keeper and follows her if she moves away with his tail curling about her face. She is unsteady of paw at the best of times and eventually she gets fed up with him and Yarks at him.  At times it takes several of these to make him go elsewhere and find a new activity.  This morning we awoke to Keeper yarking and Otis caressing her. One day she will have to nip him but so far that hasn't happened. It is definitely not a game she enjoys.
  A few days ago Otis got a bit of a lesson about doors.  I had returned home and wanted to keep the cats in the porch and he thought he would sneak in the door anyway.  Luckily I only closed the screen door and unfortunately his tail was in it! Suddenly there was a great screech and my leg was being aggressively attacked by ten sets of claws.  Although I was startled at least I had the presence of mind to open the door again and release his tail.  The attack stopped and Otis ran away looking very indignant. it hit me as funny and I got a good laugh out of it all and went to town and told others of the mini-adventure.  I think he actually did learn a lesson and has better respect for doors now.
  The latest trick Opus has come up with has been to shred Kleenex up in tiny little bits.  it makes quite a mess.  I thought he was getting the Kleenex out of the waste bin and found a dog dish that fir on top of the bin to prevent him from this latest activity.  In no time at all I returned to find more Kleenex shredded!  How could this be?  Well a bit of investigation showed that he wasn't taking Kleenex from the garbage bin but new  stuff out of the box!  Lord preserve me from Clever Cats and their little games.
  On the other hand the easiest things become wonderful toys for them. Someone left a plastic straw here and he has played with it for many hours. It gets lost and then he finds it again and it is like a new toy all over again. He is also a kitten that takes a lickin' but keeps on tickin'. I watched through the dining room window as he carefully crept along the edge of a top-opening window in the porch, only to take one more non-existent step into air and come tumbling down. No matter, he picked himself up and went on to other things.  Ever the intrepid cat.
  I knew when I got TWO young cats that there would be a lot of action around here and there certainly is but we are working it out.  When I went to Nelson the other day I had to leave both boys in the porch so my neighbour could let the dogs out a few times while I was away.  I couldn't possibly expect someone else to do the juggling I go through to only let dogs out and not cats.  I hope eventually they will not even bother with the door.  Opus continues to snuggle all night and I am most happy with that.They were definitely worth taking a chance on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.