Dog Catcher

Dog Catcher

Friday 1 June 2012

Lost Dogs and Learnin' Dogs


Oh boy! Another busy day! I think I am doing very well for a not-so-young-person. With two dogs gone I was running rather late yesterday but then having a Jack Russell around is like many dogs anyway. They (at least Max anyway) can be described in three words-fast,busy and active all the time! He is so funny! We reached success in the poop department because what I found on the carpet had been done before he went in his crate. I figure I won yesterday and got him outside enough times for long enough to get the “business” taken care of-outside! But I really don't think he understands that’s where to do it. First thing in the morning he can't get out fast enough for a pee but after that he won't always go out. After all, the big dogs are not around to play with-only the Old (Keeper) and the Cranky (Teko). I really don't like a defiant dog so have “run him down” several times. When finally caught his little heart beats like a trip hammer but its all part and parcel of learning. The leash lesson went well and Max has now figured out the “sit” part and is wise to the turnaround as well. Its always a plus when the dog is watching for the turnaround. Means he understands and is paying attention. Good for Maximiilan! We are dispensing with treats for everything and he will crate for the command now-although it may have to be repeated so he knows you are serious. Max is a big boy now and is handling it very well. Looking after him is like having a little kid around and I am always checking to see what he is up to now, kind of thing. Went to check him in the front room yesterday and couldn't see him-turned around and there he was checking on me! This morning I looked and looked for my slippers and really was wondering where they could be. Well, on the couch of course! That’s where Max thought they should be! Another little “habit” we are dealing with is him scratching at my knee while I am on computer. Max dislikes loud noises and a simple smack of the “likin' stick”(a rolled up newspaper in my hand was enough to get the idea across of what “Off” means. On a return visit I had only to reach for the stick and he understood. Its important to say “Off” when a dog jumps on you because later “Down” will mean lie down not get down. The ball on a strap has had a good going over with many thumps on the floor as he shook it and “killed” it. So much to learn and Max is eating it up,

Besides my usual board money, my reward is seeing him learn. As soon as he was put on a leash with a choke chain he learned the big one-”RESPECT”. It was obvious and I was glad to see it as it proves he does have all his marbles its just his breed working against obedience. I mean after all he is supposed to spending his day catching and killing rats!

After our morning walk, I was kept busy looking for a stray dog (although I am on holiday). Never did see it but have the dog in mind – it runs so much people have christened it Hobo as it kind of looks like a smaller version of the “littlest Hobo”? Then we had a normal day except for leaving the dogs for an appt. at hospital. There has been no word on the boxer female that disappeared and the owners are really out looking for it. Someone must have it or else it has met its end? Later I got a phone call regarding a found dog but it was a Male LabX. Always room for one more so it took Maddies place in the porch last night and seems a nice quiet dog. He has white on his chest and many white toes. He has taken to sitting on the rocking lounge and watching out the window but this allows the dogs inside to see him and Teko whom I thought was near blind with cataracts insists on sounding the alarm when he sees him through the window. Silly little fart. The dog seems to be waiting for its owners to come and its a bit heartbreaking so I hope they phone soon-will phone the vets and let them know as well.
And that is our present status for today and it looks to be another good one. Woof 'til tomorrow!!JMD





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.