Dog Catcher

Dog Catcher

Sunday 27 May 2012

Now There is Five Dogs!


Another busy day yesterday. Jiggs and Mattie like being outside in the back yard and that gives Teko and Keeper (the elders) some quiet time in the house. Mr. Peaches the cat gets his porch back for the day and all is well. First walk of the morning getting easier as everyone getting to know the schedule. Maddie is annoying in that she barks in the back of the van and I am wondering if she gets kind of car sick or is just hyper about going for a walk? I have noticed once she is tired she is quiet so that must be it. Too much discipline and she has turned off about getting back in the van so will have to change that with cookies as a reward. My mistake in being too harsh with her-thank goodness dogs are so forgiving. But I do question the intelligence of labs. They seem so slow compared to others. Also you must walk around Maddie not vice-versa. The elders are apprehensive about going out the door with that big lab in the way so she is learning Maddie GIT! A very good command that my Chubby Chicken understood well. I did get my back lawn mowed knowing full well much grass would be tracked back into the house but it sweeps up. A great time in the park was had by all for our late walk. Teko certainly enjoys freedom like he never had before and is starting to resent being picked up! Fine by me as I am not really a pick-me-up kind of dog . He is becoming quite independent and doesn't even like being picked up any more and growled at me this a.m. When I picked him up to take him outside. I think he is getting deaf as well and it isn't just selective hearing or not having to listen for most of his life.
I consider Maddie and Jiggs the “big” dogs and they play a lot together. Interesting to see Maddie cannot keep up to Jiggs who is older. I think it has to do with their body builds and also Jiggs does not pack any extra weight. Maddie will give up and watch him run until she can't stand it any longer and then try again. Thats okay tired dogs are happy dogs and everyone around here sleeps very well at night. Down at the park Keeper attempted to jump the cement guard just like she used to so very effortlessly. Well she missed her landing and fell flat on her side. She and I are similar that way thinking we can still do what we always did. Yeah and effortlessly!! To top the day off Max arrived at about 8:30. I think his owner nearly killed herself getting him up the steps in the crate! He is a funny little dog and really likes being on the couch. I will have to watch him carefully as he is after the buttons on my couch and has already swallowed a button before this.The funniest thing is Teko immediately fell in love with Max and his tail was going so fast I thought it would fly off! He follows Max around like he was a female in heat! Maybe he is just thrilled to have someone around his size?? Its amazing how bossy little dogs are. I have to watch Teko when the others jump in the van or he will go for them and this morning already Max barked at Keeper for walking by the couch. This possessive stuff will not work here as its Keepers house. The old girl just backed away but Mr. Max got put back in his kennel, Good manners are essential in a multi-dogged house, so he will have to learn and I have ample time to try and teach him as he is here for two weeks. Owner said I could do whatever so have full rein there at least. Mostly they just all need loved and made to feel they are important and they are. All dogs get one-on-one time and lots of pets so there you go I think I am doing okay and really enjoy a houseful. I know the others well already and can spot problems arising and am on it right away. I must say I was impressed with Max the Jack Russell. Although only a puppy Linda put him in his crate for the night and not a peep out of him after that. This morning he was apprehensive about going out the back door so I had to pick him up and take him out but he immediately peed and pooped and that is done for the time being anyway. I have poop bags all over the place and the “collection” bin is half full. Oh well garbage day on Tuesday. Uh oh the old girl is starting to give me stares about brekkie so that will be next and then on to a whole new day with FIVE dogs! I'm looking forward to it but can never call myself a dog whisperer- I am more the dog hollerer type although I know it doesn't really work any better- it works for me and a sharp “HEY” does get attention. I do employ Cesar's little jab for attention though as then the dog in question knows I meant him/her. And thassit for today-stay tuned for tomorrows edition!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.