Dog Catcher

Dog Catcher

Monday 28 May 2012

Day Two With Five Dogs


So okay here we go for day two with five dogs. Other people do it and i am sure I can. Very busy and full days for sure.
Was impressed with Max (the JR puppy) when he was quiet all night and then went outside and did his business right away. Unfortunately he saved some and before noon had poop on the carpet twice. He hasn't eaten yet so don’t' know where it is coming from-maybe a long intestine?? I must say he had a most enjoyable day. Went for a walk at the dog park and he sure pulls a lot on leash but I only had Teko's old harness on him. I do believe harnesses make a dog pull and that's what they were for in the first place ie sled dogs. At first Max was afraid to go out the back door but that didn't last long as he has to be in everyone else's business so now he is in and out the door so fast he is going to get squished. Well no because I am far too slow. It would be safe to say he spent the entire day running with only a very few down times for a quick sleep. A very busy little dog he is. I am hoping to some training before Linda gets home to impress her but find these little dogs not very responsive to normal training anyway. We'll see. Worst thing is his recall-usually a problem unless you work at it right away when you first get them. Also hard to work him with all the other dogs here. But he already knows to jump in the car and then I put him in a cat crate between the seats. It works so what the hell? All dogs are learning their place and I am trying to find an e-collar to fix Maddie's yarking in the car.
Well on to Maddie. First off I could hardly open the porch door from the house as she had moved her bed in front of it. All the dogs seem to have their bed making routine and hers is moving it around. She is definitely one that wants to be at the door in case she missed something. Jiggs is a door dog too but gives over to Maddie. Both Maddie and Jiggs spent a great deal of time running yesterday as well. Maddie gets most frustrated at how fast Max is and she can't catch him at all.
I am so pleased they all get along so well. A definite sign of well-balanced dogs for sure. Even the cat wanders where he will and cares not, until finally he just goes in the bedroom for some quiet time. Too funny.
Teko is no longer in love with Max. Possibly he finds him just too energetic? When Teko came in the house from the porch Max put a paw on his back and Teko wasted no time in telling him off for that! To the point that I went and checked Teko for any damage from all the playing. Couldn’t find anything and maybe he is just sore and stiff trying to keep up with the younguns?
Its funny to watch him take it all in and certainly not the life he was used to with Bea at all. I’m thinking his hearing is not all that good either and he is so small its hard to spot him at the park at times. Just what I need two deaf dogs but I am already experienced anyway.
Up in the wee hours as Max was whining. Feel like a Mommy with a baby. Trundles in out and no one else seemed to want to go but at five it was a different story with the old girl(an me) needing to pee. Now everyone has been up for awhile and some telling me they think I should feed early today. Nope not til seven! Actually I feel like a Mom with FIVE kids! Maddie and Jiggs spend a lot of time in the yard and I am thankful for that. Both would prefer to be inside and think they are missing a lot but I go out and play with them a lot too.
I had all five out and was playing with a ball and it was hilarious. Max chases whoever gets the ball and they all run around like a football team. Even Teko tried but he is well aware of how quickly he can be bowled over on his butt so tends to bide his time. Keeper just observes or keeps to herself.
The late walk was something else with everyone running free even Max(which isn't a good idea as hard to get him back again. Even with a cookie the little shit dashes in and snatches the cookie and leaves again. Very clever but put harness on him for something to grab tonight. I have resorted to treats and blowing a whistle. Everyone that comes to the whistle gets a piece of a treat. Should work right? So far only the greedy ones Maddie and Jiggs have come every time but Max is starting to figure it out. There are a lot of different manners this crew needs to learn yet but thankfully its not really my job?
My dear old Keeper seems to as always, take it all in stride and watching the “crew” have such a good time she forgot her age and went in the lake-something she hasn't done for a long time. When she came out she was rejuvenated and leapt about like a puppy! She even ran circles around me! All I could think of was how stiff she would be this morning but she seems okay so maybe this is all good for all of us?? Thassit, gotta go feed before the pack kicks up a real fuss. Will put something special on Max’s food this morning and see if he eats.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.