Dog Catcher

Dog Catcher

Thursday 24 May 2012

Dog Education


I have long regretted that I never furthered my education, or for that matter never even got my grade twelve! However today I had an idea that I am educated just in a different way and a different school.
I have an education in animals! Specifically dogs. I am about to have the maximum dogs come to stay at Miracle House Pet-sitting. First to arrive is Jiggs a purebred Springer Spaniel with some education himself.(it makes a difference). Our first “skuffle” happened last night at bed time. I tried to make Jiggs understand he could sleep on the nice bed just outside the bedroom door but he has always slept in the bedroom of his masters. So he moved and laid on a skimpy rug near Teko's basket.(the Chihuahua I inherited from Bea)This put him in Keepers way and at her age she is a restless sleeper at best and is in and out of the bedroom all night. I heard some growling and thought it was probably Teko. Then a bigger time skuffle and when I turned the light on it was Keeper and Jiggs. I suppose he growled at her to warn her off but she can't hear so did not heed his warning. So I showed Jiggs the other dog bed once again and hoped for the best-also sent him out when he did not listen. In the end he paid me back by sleeping on the couch. Oh well no matter he is a pretty clean dog.
The next dog to arrive is Maddie a black lab who is also a young dog. Last time Maddie was here she jumped on my fence and bent the wire over so I need to put in another post there before she comes on Friday morning. Holy Cow that's tomorrow! Then on Saturday night the young Jack Russell arrives and I shall have five dogs here! That's okay in a way I love it and they are all staying for different periods of time. Jiggs for a week,Maddie for eight days,and Max for two weeks. It will be good for them all I am sure and I will protect my old Keeper if necessary. Oh and the cat! But he is a bold bugger and seems to look after himself-taking himself off to the bedroom when he needs some quiet time and coming out at his leisure to eat and whatever.Taking this troop for walks will be interestong at the best of times. But no worries Jiggs can hear and somes back easily and we shall see about Maddie and Max.
So my dog education is paying off belatedley. It pops up at feeding time and I was reminded today as I prepared breakfast for the dogs that that is the time most suseptible to fights.Contrtol is the answer and at least the younger dogs eat up right away. Not so Keeper and I put her food up until she is hungry.Teko eats in the bathroom and Jiggs eats so quickly no other dog would stand a chance at getting in his dish.
Then of course there is the pooper scooping. That has become a much bigger job but I am okay with it.It works out that I only have five dogs here for four days. Then they start to go home already.
A sad incident last night at supper time when I was phoned about a dog in someones small pond.The dog was dead and could have been there for two days by that time. I wnet down hoping for an identity to let owner know about the dog and found it was poor Oscar, an older poodle type fellow. We will never know if he went in there for a drink and could not get out and then had aheart attack or what. He wasn't really “in” the water but laying across a rock. The owner of the pool was upset and wondering who would take the body away. I suggested the Village but rather than deal with them and have the dog sit for another day or two I simply bagged him and put him in my van and took him to his owner. This is certainly anunusual incident and I dont' want to be called for removing dead dogs but in this instance something had to be done although the dog was no longer suffering. Although the animal stunk up my whole van I hve dealt with worse smells and still feel it was up to the owner to 1) contain the dog in the first place 2) now bury the dog.But there you go the world is not going to change overnight and if you really “live” with your dog you know where it is all the time right?
I really love my old girl(18 July 4th!) and know where she is at all times. Because she cannot hear I hve a bellon her in case she ever does get any distance from me and we always walk on leash in respect to her hearing loss. How do you call a deaf dog? Well you clap your hands in hope some sound will get through and gesticulate as she can see movement anyway. You look like a fool but various things work. At my back door I have a horsewhip that I bang on the door to make a big noise to let her know to come in. In short- Whatever it Takes to get the job done. Here's to loving your dog like they deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.