Dog Catcher

Dog Catcher

Tuesday 29 May 2012

A Little Learnin'


Another good day underneath us. Yesterday had a bit of training involving young Max. A friend gave me a different choke chain (they should be called training collars but change is hard for all) Max has been pulling like crazy on leash so it was a small step to start him on a training collar. Almost instant respect so maybe this is not the first time? Dunno. But it worked like a charm on our morning walk. So much so that I continued with him when I got up town and walked him up one side of front street and down the other. He didn't seem to comprehend the sit but eventually I got one or two out of him. I have never seen a Jack Russell heel in our town but of course it may have happened when I wasn't around. I knew it was possible and feel good for having had Max do it. He looked great! Also no more charging out the door. He has to wait and come out after me. Whether that one will stick is debatable as it all changes when we use the back door. Our afternoon walk saw Max on a leash again and being disciplined for eating goose poop. Couldn't do that without having him on a leash. Besides he finally ate his meal once I put some lovely gravy on it from Keepers canned food.
The other thing that happened with Max is he got caught in the act of gobbling Keepers supper. It was really funny. He didn't hear me coming and I pounced on him and gave him a few “Cesar Milan” taps. I thought he was going to jump out of his skin! All four feet scrambling and he was gone. Max is as fast as greased lightning but I guess this time he hadn't heard me coming. It really was funny and I laugh every time I think of it. But it is imperative to “catch them in the act” and boy did I! I am seeing his attitude change......could it be respect?? Of course these days all I can talk about is the dogs and one friend suggested I did not have to do any training but guess what? I enjoy it and its a learning process for me as well as every dog is different. I did have another Jack Russell I looked after but his owner was not into anything being done about is habits so I didn't do anything. As a matter of fact I used to wind him up whenever I met her. This time I am hoping Max's owner will be pleased.

Gentleman Jiggs the black and white Springer Spaniel thinks he would rather be in the house with me and I would have him but he is company for Maddie, who has gotten quite used to him. His recall has improved but know his owners will not be pleased about the treats involved as he gets pretty obsessed about food. As mentioned before I blow the whistle and all dogs that come to me get a bit of a treat. It works well and I am the woman of the hour in their eyes and my “pack” is sticking around very well. Whatever it takes—right? Jiggs has had training and listens pretty well but has a select hearing on recall-until treats were involved anyway. Both he and Maddie are required to sit before I will open the gate for them to be loaded in the dogmobile. Maddie goes in the very back and Jiggs in the second back seat of the van and Keeper gets the first back seat. Teko takes up the passenger seat and Max goes in a cat crate between the seats. This works really well and he doesn't think anything of it being a cat crate and pops in quickly and easily with no treat for it. He also jumps in the van now saving my back and leaving me with only one pick-me-up dog. Teko is not young and simply too damn small to get in but he is always there waiting for the lift..
Teko's feat of the day was going in the lake by himself-a first for sure and I was surprised, but good for him. He will enjoy it on a hot day in the summer.(if that ever happens) Nothing like starting out life at about 12-15. Not sure how old he is but he is going deaf as well and that's ok because with Keeper having lost her hearing some time ago I am experienced! Last evening I had the three boarders loaded and had to go back and “herd” my two in. Too funny that I have to herd the herding dog! Keeper had a slower day yesterday and I think she was rather tired. All this company and running around tired her out. But she and I are holding up well I think.
Maddie continues to bark in the dogmobile and I can't seem to get through to her. It is definitely an excited thing about going for a run as she is not nearly so bad upon returning, but it annoys me highly. I tried putting a muzzle on her but she of course got it off. Still it kept her busy and quiet for a short period of time. On the way back last night I stopped and picked up an electronic collar from a friend but don't know if I will use it. Have to read up on it and then also need to buy a battery for $25.00. Just how far do I want to take this training bit? Now its starting to eat up the profits.
I love the comments coming in from people and thank you all very much. Even Jim's sarcasm was appreciated. Its all good and fun too! See ya tomorrow!!JMD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.