Dog Catcher

Dog Catcher

Wednesday 28 March 2012

Laughter Leaves and Returns

LAUGHTER LEAVES AND RETURNS – by Joyce M. Davidson

That particular morning I walked into my Momma Bea's house, looking for her. Bea wasn't really my Mom but I called her that and had unofficially “adopted” her as such. We were good friends and enjoyed many a coffee together. 
We shared a mutual caring of animals and I had recently house and dog- sat for her. I remember checking her little Corkie dog through out the night hoping to find she was still warm and had not passed away without me knowing it. Corkey had a bad heart and her days were limited we knew. I saw the stethoscope on Bea's bed and wondered a bit about it , but quickly forgot it as I looked for Bea and called her name. She obviously was not home so I got in my van and left again. Up at the corner I met Bea in her car and she rolled down the window and said “I've just had Corkey put down”. Oh my I was shocked and told her I would drive around and meet her at the house. When I walked in a second time I burst into tears and it was Momma Bea that consoled me! I felt so bad for Bea. But of course life went on for the rest of us and Bea and I continued our friendship. Still something seemed to be missing and it was more than Corkeys little presence. Some time later I was informed of another long-haired Chihuahua looking for a home.
 His elderly owner had to go into hospital and the little dog needed a temporary home. I asked Bea if she would take him and remember strictly telling her NOT to fall in love with him as the owner would get out of hospital and want him back.  From the first day he arrived Teko brought smiles to Bea's face and then I heard it! Bea was laughing! THAT'S what had been missing! The laughter had gone from her life and now with Teko on her lap it had returned and it was a lovely sound!! Teko's previous owner would not leave the hospital again and Teko became Bea's little dog and also the apple of her eye. She talked to him worried about him and often called him her little boy. He made her very happy and she has doted on him for many years.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.