Dog Catcher

Dog Catcher

Tuesday 13 March 2012

Nora's Passion

When it comes to cows. A young heifers' passion in her first “season” (oestrus) knows no bounds.  This was true of Nora, a young cow, alone and in heat.
Nora was the offspring of our Jersey milk cow and a Brown Swiss bull. She took after her sire in size and at two years of age was an enormous beast.
One morning, I was pulling the kids' little red wagon, laden with a bale of hay,across Nora’s pen on my way to feed the work horses. As I walked I heard the sound of heavy breathing behind me. I turned in time to see Nora on her hind legs,hovering over me and about to descend to earth. I dropped the handle of the wagon and ran! Nora’s great weight squashed the wagon beyond repair. I would later have to explain that to the kids! But for now I still had the horses to feed. I shooed Nora off and with one eye watching for the next crazy manoeuvre, I packed the bale of hay over to the horses.  As I went about my chores and various other activities forth rest of the day. I all but forgot about Nora and the wagon, so I was the only one aware of her amorous state.
The following morning, I was running late with my chores.  Before I got down to where Nora was I heard some angry shouting from Pops, my boss. Hurrying towards the noise, I rounded the corner of the barn and came across a very strange and humorous sight!  There, flat on his back lay Pops, with Nora standing over him mooing little cow endearments to him and slobbering her huge tongue all over his face! Pops was wearing a large overcoat that he had neglected to button. Now Nora stood with a hoof on each corner of the coat and Pops was quite effectively trapped.  The young cow had jumped Pops much the same as she had the wagon  and bale of hay, only Pops had
more clearance on the ground and was not hurt at all.  He was however very angry and swearing like a  trooper!   It was the most hilarious thing I had seen in years and for some time  I was helpless to help him up from Nora's “loving” embrace. For many days  thereafter, Pops bore the brunt of much teasing.  Sometimes a simple Moo, at
the right time would send all of us into fits of laughter.
And Nora?
Well she was sent to the bull that very day. She seemed to have her priorities straight after that and all was well again on the home front.

2 comments:

Thank you for your comments.