Dog Catcher

Dog Catcher

Friday 9 March 2012

Two Jobs

   For much longer than I have been an Animal Control Officer, I have also been the SPCA agent here in town. It kind of goes hand in hand. What I can't deal with in one position I can with the other. These days as I am ageing, I tend to send people on to another larger branch for help as opposed to jumping on my horse (figure of speech) and galloping to the rescue. Many claims are not valid and just a waste of time but I keep my ears to the ground in sorting and will often check things out or speak to people. Sometimes you can get pretty humorous phone calls .
   Nearing Christmas one year, I received a call from an older gentleman and I really thought he wanted me to come by because he had a donation he wanted to make. Upon arriving at the house, he introduced me to his wife and she offered me tea.
It turned out he had a complaint to make about a pig that was being kept across the street. I had a hard time finding out what the problem was. Finally the stately old gentleman got right down to it. He was upset because his wife should not have to see that pig fornicating a barrel! Apparently a barrel in the pigs yard had frozen into the ground and being the right height, was being put to use by the pig. I had a hard time keeping a straight face I tell you!  Number one, the pig wasn't being abused and the barrel was not a living animal and number two, his wife didn't need to watch! I think I got out of the house by saying I would have to check with my supervisor but that I didn't think we could do anything.
   Another time I received a call from a lady about a very large dog that was kept chained. I asked many questions and the dog was fed and watered and walked etc. Finally I asked what she felt the problem was. Her answer was “He isn't loved!” Well true enough, that is not a fair thing for a dog but no laws have been made regarding that and the humans are definitely missing a wonderful thing when they reject a dogs' love. Again I could do nothing.
   Still, I would hope I have done a few good things by taking on these positions. I also received a report of a dog being abused and the neighbours having to listen to the animals' cries. This case I knew, I already had a potential home for this dog if the present owner would relinquish it to me. I spoke to the man and he was quite willing to let me take the dog. It went to the home I had planned, but later needed another home when it dug holes in the ladies rented yard. The next owners proved to be his forever home and they have learned to live around what problems the dog has presented and all is well and happy in that relationship.
   There have been times when I felt I was connected to or had dealings with nearly every dog in town but there are always new ones coming in and old dogs replacing puppies.  The scenario goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.