Dog Catcher

Dog Catcher

Monday 2 April 2012

Starting Over Again

 It seemed before I knew it we were bound for Kaslo, B.C.  My brother had been "shopping" in all the old farm scrap piles and had ended up with a trailer full of stuff behind his truck.  All of my worldly belongings were stuffed in my car and Chubby happily took up
residence in the back window where he could keep an eye on things.  I was in contact with Ken and he met us for coffee just out of Calgary and drove with us for a time and then he headed back.  Although he had thought to come out for a visit, he never did and I never saw him again. True to his word, he moved Trouble for me to a boarding facility(and paid the board for several months) he also took my cats to a humane society.  I had found the cats beside the road in a sack and took them home on my horse.  They became outside cats and did very well on the farm. I have never understood how people could be so cruel as to put cats in a bag and just throw them away like garbage.It was the middle of a very cold winter when I found them.

Meanwhile back on the road we were making not too bad a time. We stopped in Banff to admire the wild sheep and then continued on. After we crossed Kootenay Lake on the ferry, my niece joined me in my car for a change of pace.  I asked her many times if this was Coffee Creek?  This part of the road is especially scary for prairie people and for some reason I had a real thing about it that day. Each time I asked Kelly would reply "Not yet Aunty Joyce".  Eventually we were through that piece of road and found ourselves at their log house on the back road.  I would stay here for some months.

   Here I would begin a series of "first times".  It started right away when my brother wanted to load a few logs he had cut and take them to the Mill down the road.  I was introduced to a peavy.  This is a tool that has a movable hook on it and enables one to roll logs and hold them from rolling back again.Together we rolled the logs onto a trailer with bunks to hold the logs and during the process I really thought we might die if I did not give it my all.  But we got the job done and took the logs out and I made my first $20.00 in B.C.
    My bad ankle had continued to bother me and we finally came on a good solution of wrapping a leather belt around my cowboy boot in such a way that it gave me the support I needed. It would seem that the old saying of "Whatever It Takes" had followed me to B.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.