Dog Catcher

Dog Catcher

Monday 12 March 2012

Weiner Dogs Strike

At Twin Bridges, my lady boss, often took on dogs that were special show dogs to whelp them out and know the puppies would all survive.  Mary was good friends with my ex-boss at the Dog Farm.  They often had dogs that they co-owned. Tony was such a dog.  She was a very pretty long-haired dachshund.
On this particular day we had been to town to do the washing.  For some reason there were never any wash baskets used.  The dirty laundry went out in plastic bags and was simply thrown on the back seat of the car when clean and then gathered up and taken to the house when we returned.  I was first to enter the house with my arms full of clean clothes.  I kicked open the bedroom door and went to throw the clothes on the bed where they would later be sorted.  Out of nowhere I was ferociously attacked! Tony had birthed her puppies and I had startled her.
 She was on the fight and I was so happy when Mary arrived and called the dog off.  But Tony never forgot I had surprised her like that.
For the next two months Tony would nail me any chance she got. The dachshund can be a feisty little dog and indeed are bred to tackle badgers!  I tried many methods to prevent another bite but to no avail.  Tony was not a forgiving type and I actually think she enjoyed putting the run on me.  I could talk to her and tell her to behave all I wanted and she would still nail me in the ankle as I turned to go in the house.  If she was “in” the house that didn't help either.  There was a long bench we needed to slide down for all of us to sit at the supper table.  Many a time Tony would bunt me with her nose and when I jumped she would get me coming down.  It began to work on my nerves and I was not a happy camper at all.  It got so bad I contemplated seeking other employment-much as I loved working there.  Luckily Tony returned to the Dog Farm and I was no longer belaboured with the biting dog.
The regular standard, short-haired Dachsy that was Mary’s own dog was another story.  Cindy was a lovable and happy dog wandering about the farm and mostly enjoying life.  She loved to sing  and Mary could get her to comply at will.  I found the singing rather intriguing, but I think Daschsunds are of the hound breed somewhere down the line and they are great “singers”.  True to form with her crazy nicknames, Mary often called Cindy, Cree-Cree for some reason.  Sadly some years later, when she was far too old to be doing such things, Cindy took on a badger and met her end.
   In retrospect, I find it amazing that all dogs got along on the farm and I never knew of one dog fight.  I guess there was enough room for all?  For the most part it was a fun place for me.  Not only were there many horses, but lots of dogs and cats as well.  For an animal person it was a great place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.