Dog Catcher

Dog Catcher

Friday 14 December 2012

Fetcher Creek-Giggling Girls

A small story came to mind not long ago of two young girls who I think boarded their horses with me.  They had both been around while I had the Fletcher Creek Riding Stables so I have included them with those stories.
  On this particular day I heard the dogs bark and went to see what that was about.  The two girls were riding their horses up the driveway to the house and seemed to want to talk to me.  They were particularly giggly and giddy, but I thought nothing of that.  We chatted for awhile and then I asked them if there was something special they wanted.  Well, amid giggles they said that one of the girls, Sharleen, had fallen off her horse.  She had hurt her ankle so I went to see it asking as I went how she got back on the horse.  Of course the other girl had helped her.  One look at the ankle told me she had probably broken it and I decided to take her home and probably to the hospital.  Arriving at her home, she would have nothing to do with the hospital idea, so I settled for phoning her Mom and getting the girl to put her foot in a big bowl filled with cold water and ice cubes.  Not having any nursing abilities I was more than happy to turn things over to the Mom and Sharleen had indeed broken her ankle and was in a cast for the usual time while it healed.  I was just happy I had the presence of mind to ask what those giggling girls really wanted.  To this day I am grateful no one ever got seriously hurt  during those years with the horses and the kids.
  Safety is a big thing when you are dealing with horses. Many things happen that can't be prevented but horses outweigh us  by many pounds and it pays to be respectful of that fact.  They are also and animal and so do not necessarily think like we do.  Learning about horses and their habits is one of the best things to do to promote safety.  Ropes and lead shanks have led to a few deaths and all ropes should be dealt with with respect.  I remember almost passing out to see a kid wrapping a lead shank around his neck as he held a horse for Grampa!  You never know what kids are going to do either.  I have also heard many stories of people tying horses incorrectly or to something unsafe.  Several horses have been hung right in this town that I know of.  It was all unnecessary and once again the animals paid with their lives.  Too sad and all preventable.  I think all rider should seek more knowledge for their whole life if they are going to be around horses.  Ignorance is not an excuse in this day and age.  One of the best things parents can do is find a reputable for their childs horse and a bonafide instructor for the child. It makes sense-no one had been born knowing all they need to know about these animals and city kids especially need help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.