Dog Catcher

Dog Catcher

Monday 20 August 2012

The More I like Dogs

Well the last little while I have been upset by people that have happened to cross my path.  I have decided I much prefer dogs!  They don't talk and its a good thing as it seems talking is what causes a lot of trouble in life. Dogs seldom complain and don't much care if you are rich or poor. they simply want to have their own person and a home and to be fed and cared for. Pretty easy in the long run.
  When Teko came to live here in April he was overweight although he had already lost some due to a lot of walks. Well, I couldn't so the long walks but I could watch how much he ate.Even now if given the opportunity he will eat some of Keepers food so I have to guard against that happening and now put her food up where he cannot get it.  She has become a picky eater and recently has lost weight as well so I am now feeding her a mix of canned dog food as well as dry and then chicken with it.  Teko has eaten Chicken and rice for most of his life, so I have continued with that and added a bit of dry food( instead of rice which I hated making) with it so he has something to crunch and not just soft food. No wonder little dogs need their teeth pulled all the time when they get older. Keeper is now being fed three times a day but smaller amounts and that seems to work well.When she has her "lunch" Teko gets a dog biscuit and that keeps him happier and busy as well.
Last night I was late feeding and they certainly told me about as well with a few dirty looks. When keeper came out she was bleeding on the floor!  I had heard her crash against a wall before that and upon inspection found she had ripped an ugly looking mole off just above her eye.  I always disliked it and am glad it is gone.  She did not bleed for long at all and I just hope it doesn't come back bigger and uglier!  Again I suppose along with the loss of weight it is all simply ageing coming down on her and there is no cure for that. I find I am now a dog care-giver.  Not much playing is done around here and I miss that.  Its so nice when a dog comes to stay that likes to play.  Keeper and I did a whole lot of playing in our day and I miss it. She was an avid Frisbee dog and would fetch all day as she considered it her JOB!  Because I was always on my way to do something with the horses, starting and ending the day with feeding and much in between. Keeper adapted to getting the Frisbee and then dropping it at my feet as I made my way to the barn.  This worked well no matter where we were and I remember walking from the barns at the Nelson Riding grounds to the arena throwing the frizz all the way for her.  Sharon Gates commented on the fact that I probably enjoyed it as much as the dog.  Maybe so.  It was just what we did and I know keeper loved it.  A few years ago with fading eyesight and loss of energy we put the Frisbee away and nowadays I don't even bring it out much with other dogs as she would love to still be getting it.  I am sure she would agree that growing old Sucks BIG TIME!
  These days of course she spends most of her time sleeping and that's okay, she deserves it.  I actually tried to sneak out of the house when she was sleeping the other day but no way,before I knew it she was at the door waiting to go with me.  Talk about a constant companion!  Although lately she doesn't always sleep in the bedroom at night she can sense if I am not in the same room as her and will come and see where I am. The few times I leave her alone I have come home to find her barking.  Its what she does when she is outside and wants back in.  I am well trained to go to the door as I do not expect my neighbour's to have to put up with my dogs barking.  After eighteen years and even if it isn't as much fun as it once was, I am more than ready for another eighteen if we would be granted such a thing.However I have never heard of a dog living to be  36 and would be very elderly myself by then so maybe the ways things are are the ways things should be?? I do know we have had some great times together and just really gotten used to each other,  I expect she will be first at the Rainbow Bridge and I will see her again there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.