Dog Catcher

Dog Catcher

Monday 6 August 2012

Jazzfest Weekend Survived

  Well I managed to survive Jazz Fest Weekend.  My pet sitting business has never been so busy! Some people did book ahead and that made things a bit easier but in the end there were the last minute people of course,  There always seems to be room for one more but this time I really wondered if I had not over-extended myself.  They were coming in pairs!
   the first to arrive was Chester a Labradoodle.  I immediately noted that he was intact!  The owner assured me he was not a fighter but he might do some marking and he had a belly band he could wear along with a sanitary pad.  Unbelievable.! But after three markings about the house I thought maybe I should have used the apparatus.  but that was the end of it and after that he was pretty good. Chester was not that large, smaller than a Standard poodle and he spent the weekend in the house with keeper and Teko. He got along well with them and I fed him out in the back yard.
  the next to arrive was Ziggy a long haired Shepherd of the old breeding.  Her owners explained she had "issues" and I had decided before she arrived to let her have the nice shady back yard to herself for all of Sunday.  I also at that time had a Pyrenees and a Burmese arriving at any time. It was a relief to get a call saying they would not arrive until Sat. morning.  Ziggy was only here for an hour to acquaint her with the place and she went at a corner of the fence so I put a few more staples in the gatepost. The two big dogs arrived in the morning and spent some time there while their owners were away. Easy dogs to have and all dogs were quiet so that was very good.
Next to arrive(the two big dogs left) were two local dogs.  Calli is a Giant Schnauzer, very pretty in black and wavy coat but young and not well trained.  She came with her friend Loki who looks to be a collie/golden retriever Cross.  Unfortunately she had been skunked!  I had both dogs in the back yard but then Ziggy returned as agreed.  So the two local dogs were put in the front porch but even with a fan going it looked to be too hot for them so I let them in the house and the two went and slept in the kitchen while I had my afternoon nap. Ziggy seemed much more content this second time to be in the yard and when she left the other two had the back yard to them selves. Calli went home around 6:00 but Loki stayed overnight and is still here this morning. Its very early and she has been howling a mournful cry so I have let her back in the house-skunk smell or not.  I was not sure what I was hearing until I was out in the yard myself so hope she didn't disturb the neighbours too badly.
  And so it was a busy three days of dogs coming and going and in the end I felt I had kept on top of it.  Not too many incidents. Teko tried to be a bit bossy but got over it and this morning actually put Loki at a standstill and she didn't want to come in with him making a stand near the door. He also growled at the doodle on occasion-like when Chester got too close to Tekos' chair.  For the most part the three days were uneventful which was fine by me.  At one point Calli charged out the door and obviously is not a dog to come when you call. I went after her in my slippers but she thought she would make a game of tag with this. But you have to be smarter than the dog and I pretended to go to my van and she could not resist and thereby was caught again and returned to the house.  I think old Keeper stumbled onto Loki at  one point in the afternoon and Loki "went for her" but settled down quickly with a harsh word from me.  So nice to have communication and she is an older dog and no puppy, so listens well.
  Of course I have been "pickin' poop" steady but it hasn't been too bad and have managed to keep on top of it.  Teko goes three or four times a morning so am getting used to poop detail.  all part of pet sitting. And I must say it was a most profitable weekend.  I am grateful to Dr.Pat and also the Visitors Centre for recommending me. its made a big difference. And so the weekend comes to an end and I have today to myself I think once Loki leaves at about ten.  Can't complain at all and it was an experience for sure.All is well that ends well and it did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.