Dog Catcher

Dog Catcher

Friday 17 August 2012

Another Old Friend Passes

I went to a Celebration of Life yesterday and was asked to leave! Wow! I wonder how many people have been kicked out of a funeral?? Definitely a first for me and  although I had suspected this could happen I was still surprised, and also I guess hurt?  Now I am just angry but trying not to let my mind get out of hand. Once again one has to "consider the source" and in this case the "source" was not much of a man in my books.  In any event I wanted to share something yesterday and I was prevented from that.
  Art Bennett was many things and some of them not so nice but he was certainly always game. In his seventies and eighties, he was still out there on his snowmobile and the only thing that slowed him down from his activities in the end was ill health.  He simply could not do all the things he once did.  I did housecleaning for Art for a couple of years and got to know him better than I had up to that point in life.
  I happen to enjoy writing and Seniors often have some wondrous tales.  I once asked Art to tell me some of his stories and I would write them for him.. To my surprise he refused!!  I was shocked and asked him why not?  His reply was wondrous and I thought was a fit epitaph.  He looked me in the eye and said "Because you could never write them as good as they were".  What a great thing for someone who passed away at 93 to be able to say!  This is what I wanted to share with the people who attended his service yesterday, but instead here I am once again relying on my own blog to say the things I want to.  I went to honor an old friend but honor was not what I was met with and so be it.  Maybe Art will be able to hear this in some way.  It certainly won't be written on his headstone as he has been cremated and I wonder if they will return his ashes to South fork where he was born.  Art lived her in the area much longer than most people, only leaving to fight in the War. We now have one less crusty, tough, old miner, living up there on the hill, I hope he rests easy at last.




                                                                 ~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.