Dog Catcher

Dog Catcher

Sunday 12 August 2012

A Quiet Two-Dog Week

 Well Actually the title is a lie.  I have actually had eleven days with just my own two dogs.  Poor old Keeper has been losing weight and so I am feeding her smaller meals but three times a day and chicken on top.She is managing to get them down but regaining weight takes a lot longer and once again I wonder if I am not hearing the 'death-Nell"?  I hope against hope that is not yet anyway but at the same time cannot but help to see the "writing on the wall" Especially with the not wanting to eat but now she does and what the hell hope springs eternal and for now we are okay.  The other night she woke me when she fell quite heavily when leaving her bed on the floor in the bedroom. How do you fall off the floor? Well she just fell when she went to get up fro a drink or whatever.  I have recently heard arthritis in dogs prevents them from having a good nights rest same as us.  I imagine she has to change her position after being down sleeping too long? In any case she went down with a clatter and I could hear her continue to try to get up.  when I got the light on she was straddled out like a squashed frog with just her hind legs paddling a bit.  I lifted her middle up and she managed to regain control of her legs and walked away albeit a bit staggery.  Yep definitely getting worse. but other than a few incidents she still seems to be "there" inside a worn out body and is doing the very best she can. I have accommodated  her as best I can and wonder if it is enough?  She still "looks" for me although it is debatable exactly how much she really "sees".  Her hearing was the first thing to go but if I am close enough and clap my hands she hears that even when she is sleeping.  Its how we get from point A to B when necessary.  I imagine her nose helps her a lot to get around and to find me when she cannot see me. She will go looking for me and when outside and not able to find me she will bark until I come. This works well and I know when she wants to come back in.  The two of them have become very much "house" dogs but for most of her life she was outside at the farm.  And the house is safe and I think they know it. Keeper has three beds in the house.  One by the computer for naps and a main bed in the front room and her night time bed in the bedroom which is an old couch cushion. We have cast envious eyes at the dogs that come with really nice beds but I forgot to look at dog beds when I was in Nelson on Friday so we will make do with what we have.   For many years she had he wicker basket and seemed very attached to it but it was hard and as she aged could not have been all that comfortable for her so I changed it for a soft cat bed.Dogs don't really complain so its hard to know what they would like.
Mind you Teko on the other hand is quite clear on what he wants.  He has decided he can't jump in his chair any more and is rather adamant that I should pick him up and put him there upon his demand of course. This could become a full-time occupation and not one I am inclined to take on so I simply put a small stool in front of his chair to help him.  However his majesty had other ideas and has decided to be too dumb to use it. Gramma came by and spent a few moments covering it with a blanket so it would not be slippery but he is still not so inclined as to use it.He has tried many ploys on me.  Everything from whining and then barking to scratching at me with his claws.  Now he is into huge sighs and last night laid on two Archie comics with a big huge SIGH.  If he could he would probably phone a humane society on me. But he has accepted not sleeping in bed with anyone but alone in his own little bed and he may eventually figure out the stool as well. I allow him to be a real dog now and for the most part he enjoys that and has to do a few things for himself. Its just how it is in this house.
  One change I made was to throw out my rug.  Keeper had been peeing on it in the night and since then has not been so it was a good choice. Did she think it was grass? Who knows?  anyway it seems to have taken care of the pissidents and there has only been one assident since then.(See prior Post about these things)The wooden floor underneath has  been damaged and is discoloured but possibly sanding may take that out.  I have given it the skunk treatment and no smell anyway so possibly have caught it in time? Its one of those fit together floors and if necessary the squares can be replaced but that would be a more difficult way than sanding.  In any case I have done a bit towards more sanitary conditions here and other than that can just clean up as things happen. Again all part of having dogs in the house along with hair etc and paw prints on the floor.  Small price to pay for their love and attention.      ~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.