Dog Catcher

Dog Catcher

Thursday 24 January 2013

Gifts and stuff


  Sleepless in Miracle House. Up wandering around in the night as my sleep schedule is all wonky. The Redding Brothers thought it was great being a tad nocturnal anyway. The never idle Otis, had brought in a soft knitted happy face ball. It had been out in the porch and now he had it inside. He loves to carry things in his mouth and he spent quite a bit of time carrying it from here to there and back again. It made me think of Momma Bea as she was the one that knitted the ball and a variety of animals have played with it over the years. She used to knit smaller ones as well and even tried her hand at a few mice for cat presents at Christmas. I guess that is what “gifting” is all about. We get to keep certain mementos and think of the people they came from at different times in our lives. I am not a sewer of knitter although many years ago I did a bit of both-just not interested unit these days so no one has ever gotten a knitted anything from me. But I did during my Inukshuk phase give almost all of my friends an Inukshuk, which are just stones glued together and I included little cards that I made explaining how the Eskimos(Inuit?) used these stones to point the way to go to fresh water or some place of interest. Some were even made with a little “window” in them, I wonder if that was a way of surveying? But on second thought I doubt it because there would be no reason to survey anything and much more point in trail markers.(No trees of course so could not make a wooden sign for sure) For several years I paid my way to a Women s camp in Alberta by bringing rocks and glue to camp and becoming an “Instructor”. It saved me a lot of money and lets face it no outfall of cash-rocks are free! And really whats to instruct? But it was fun and I enjoyed it a lot. Funnily I have only one Inuckshuk myself and that is a larger one outside. But as I truck around Kaslo and have a coffee with friends I see many of them on display still and will always have an affinity for them I think. During that time in turn, I received “gifts” concerning these little structures. A book, earrings,pins, and a lovely tote bag. And it all began with a friend that came to stay here starting me off when I had never even heard of them! Thanks Barb Authenac! To this day I have bins of rocks beside my house ready for more building but just have not done any more in years and my friends and I no longer attend the camp in Alberta. But maybe one day I will get back to them, who knows??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.