Dog Catcher

Dog Catcher

Friday 27 July 2012

Different dogs-Different Days

Hi All. I am back after a lengthy pause.  I had a nice break from pet sitting from the 4-10th.Nice timing as my Bro came visiting and we were able to have a very nice visit without any extras in the house.  Even so my two seemed always to be underfoot and my bro figures I shuffle around because of them.  Could be-I dunno. We had one more incident with Teko going in the creek and can only surmise it looks flat to him.  We fished him out easily enough and he does swim although he had a foot thru the chain in his collar.  He also floats well because of all his hair and actually could have gotten out on his own this time I think, as the water is not so high and swift. He will have to be on leash from now on I think.
On the 10th things picked up again and Charlie came for a few days (Old English Sheepdog) and then Inga returned for a day and a new one a little JR named Stella came for the day as well.  She was a pleasure and even slept with me on the couch.  Bold and brassy and made herself to home right away.AND listened well! Easy dog to have around.
However on the weekend I got a not-so-nice one.  I guess my luck ran out.  Friends from out of town had booked with me for the weekend. We visited for a bit and the dog seemed fine but once they left things changed drastically and Skip would not settle down.  He stayed in the back yard yarking until finally I put him in the kennel in the porch and he shut up.  That is until 1:00a.m.  But he went back to sleep and the next day was no longer trying to chew the wire gate etc.  But come nightfall when I put him in the crate again he kicked up a huge fuss.  I couldn't have him in the house as he was not good with Mr.Peaches.  So I let him into the porch to see if that will help.  He shut up but spent the night ripping apart my screen door.  He even bent the scrolling up!  I suppose this was in an attempt to get into the house but I had really had the biscuit with him by that time and went to town looking for his owners.  This took awhile, but eventually after buying me brekkie we returned to the house to get Skips belongings and they screwed the door back together and gave me $20 extra and left.  I suppose excuse makers would put it down to "Separation Anxiety". I call it not a balanced and  happy dog!  Most dogs that come here are happy but once in awhile I get a sulker who simply doesn't want to be happy and there is little I can do about that.
   I have come up with a minimum charge of $20 for day timers(dogs that only come for the day).  Although it may only be for a few hours it still causes some upset for the dogs that are here already and a bit of stress for me as well.  Plus you never know which dog is going to be a problem,  Such was the border collie that came yesterday.  Tobey seemed a nice dog and listened so had some training .  Training always goes a long way to a nice stay.  However Tobey was a prime candidate for the old "Separation Anxiety" and after inspecting the house and the yard would stand by the door and yark!  Quite a shrill sound and made me jump the first time.  This continued for his entire stay until it grew late in the afternoon and he somehow figured out his owners were coming soon.  For a break I took all three dogs out on the front lawn, but found Tobey would not stick around so put him on a leash.  Our road his little traffic but still it would not do to have him get in trouble.And so it goes, you cannot always just have good and fun dogs that come to stay although I have been most fortunate before this.
  Presently there are only two dogs booked for the long weekend.  A Labradoodle on the 4th for a day and a night and a German Shepherd on the 5th, that sounds like it needs the whole back yard on its own as does not like other dogs sniffing her butt! (Isn't that what dogs do?) go figure. So my dogs and the doodle will have to use the front door and the front yard and leave the Shepherd to herself.  A bit unusual but what the heck? We can be flexible.  So that's the plan for the moment and I am sad to add that Mr.Peaches escaped and never came home.  I cannot believe how much I miss him, at night I am sure I can feel him jump on the bed but it's only my imagination and he has been gone for two weeks now and not likely to return I don't think.This has happened to my other cats and why I kept him in for two years but with Teko and Keeper so slow to go in and out I wasn't fast enough to stop a clever cat from whisking out the door. I think I can blame coyotes because if he was near humans they could read his tatoo and return him to me. life is rather slow for us here at Miracle House while I wait for my bum back to get better.  Soon I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.